Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pregnant and Able

I wonder. We have a friend who says we're now free to use parking spaces reserved for disabled people because I'm pregnant. She says they used to do that when she was expecting, and the guards at the malls were fine with it.

The idea is tempting, considering how difficult it is to find a safe and convenient parking space these days. Megamall is a reason. So is Trinoma, and Gateway, and Glorietta...

On the other hand, I do not (will never) feel comfortable taking rights away from people who really need them. What if an actual disabled person arrives at the mall at the same time as I do? And the only parking space left was the one I occupied two minutes ago?

It has become inconvenient for me to walk large distances, true. But I'm not disabled am I? So I'm definitely parking at the back lot and walking the rest of the way, like the abled person that I am. What do you think? Would you take up this pregnancy "perk"? 

No comments: